Friday, October 13, 2006

Comparison Shopping

I got an email this morning from a high school classmate that I hadn't thought about in 15 years. Damn - that really makes me sound quite old, which I am NOT, by the way. I am young and fabulous. I am.

ANYWAY, this classmate of mine has started a website for our graduating class (1990, if you must know).

Naturally, I perused it...

Then it started.

The Comparisons. Yes, The Comparisons. This one is a college professor. That one has started her own foundation. This one has won an Emmy. Those two are in business for themselves. There they all are with their babies and businesses and accolades and homes.

I didn't notice where anyone was a recent rehab graduate, just starting her life over in remedial mode. In all those photos, I didn't really see anyone with just her dog by her side... I have to admit that I became a little bit sad.

But then I was reminded of something an old guy in one of my first meetings said to me. He said, “It’s none of your goddamned business what anyone else thinks of you.”

And so I considered for a moment what I thought of myself.

And I was reminded of who I am.

And I was no longer sad.

4 Comments:

Blogger thesunwolf said...

Spank you very much. I actually found a little solace from my current emotional quagmire in this post. Love you.

-M

6:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're absolutely correct with your description. You are young and fabulous! And a very successful attorney who has been positively portrayed on the front page of the Wall Street Journal.

I would recommend you go to a reunion. I remember my first one and it was a tremendous ego booster. So many of the ones I had admired had little or no success... and then there were the many who had completely porked out.

6:45 AM  
Blogger None At All said...

Anonymous: How did you know I was in the Wall Street Journal? Who are you and how come you know who I am?

I did go to the 10-year reunion and you are right - it was a major ego-boost. :)

7:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Think about it... everyone seems young to me... only a few really rare ones are fabulous... and you are very aware that I know you are!

I love you, miss you and hope to see you again soon.

6:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free counters provided by Andale.